I'm a huge reader and have been ever since I could sound out words.
I'm not a fan of chick lit, sugary-coated stories about shopping and dating.
I AM a fan of beautifully crafted sentences and story lines about real life, love and loss, and family.
Here are my ten must read fictions.
I'm sure this blog post will have a "part two" because I've read hundreds of great books through the years!
1. House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III.
I can say this is my current favorite book. The writing is just beautiful and the story is as well.
2. Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins (ok, so this counts as three books technically)
At the risk of sounding like "everyone else", just know that 1. I am also obsessed with this series and 2. It is SO worth reading.
3.Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
If classics scare you, try Jane Eyre. It's not an "easy read" but the story is interesting and when I read it I could understand why this book has been loved by millions of people for a century.
4. Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwartz
I've read this book a total of 7 times. Loved it since highschool.
5. White Oleander by Janet Fitch
A gorgeously written story about a young girl's amazingly tragic life.
6. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
A brother-sister story set in World War Two. Read it and weep.
7. Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
I laugh out loud whenever I read this. Great for a holiday book.
8. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
A love story for the ages.
9. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
the best depiction of drug addiction and drug withdrawl I've ever read.
10. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
A memoir about soul searching and taking leaps of faith.
coming up -
Ten Must Watch Movies ;)